Alert UPDATE from the Assembly Floor!
SB 1487 was not taken up on the Assembly Floor yesterday, and they did not take advantage of the opportunity to take up the bill a few minutes ago. They may decide to hear it on the Assembly Floor later today, so please get on your phone NOW, call your assemblymember and let them know that you strongly OPPOSE this bill. KEEP UP the pressure on your assemblymember – WE NEED YOUR HELP.
The California Legislature is in its final week of the 2018 legislative session before its final recess on August 31st. We have been in the forefront of opposition to SB 1487, an anti-hunting bill, currently on the Assembly Floor.
Reasons to oppose:
- Importation into California of specified species (and parts) of game animals lawfully taken in African countries would be banned.
- A number of the species listed under Senate Bill 1487, including hyena, hippopotamus, plains zebra and giraffe, are neither listed on the Endangered Species Act nor listed as an Appendix I species on CITES.
- For species listed on the ESA, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service already determines when their importation (and possession) in the United States benefits the conservation of the species. California, which has no expertise in these matters, should not second-guess the FWS.
- Should this legislation become law, African wildlife and the rural communities will lose a vital stream of funding for both conservation of wildlife and support for the local communities. Additionally, without the money brought in by hunters, the range countries and professional hunting guides will lose funds for on-the-ground anti-poaching efforts.
- There is no valid scientific reason to ban their importation.
- Species and parts already here could be kept, but only under rigid and unreasonable standards of proof of possession prior to 1/1/19 or if expressly authorized by the federal Endangered Species Act.
- The fines proposed are excessive ($5 – $40,000/violation) for a species that can be possessed legally outside of
- Would pay informants of violations $500 from the Fish and Game Preservation Fund (funded by hunters).
- The Department of Finance has weighed in on this bill and is opposed. They say the bill will create 12 new positions at a cost of $3 million in the 2019-2020 budget year as well as $2.8 million in ongoing enforcement costs per year, and they also acknowledge costs for potential litigation.
To Find Your California Assemblymember:
- Go to: http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/
- Enter your address, city and zip code. Click on “Locate.” Your Senator and Assemblymember will appear to the left of the map along with his/her contact information.
Contact your assemblymember NOW – say that you oppose SB 1487 and request they vote NO on the bill.
Assemblymember Ash Kalra (D-San Jose) is the floor manager for SB 1487. If he is your assemblymember, contact him and say you strongly oppose this very bad anti-hunting bill. Here is his information:
Assemblymember Ash Kalra (D-San Jose)
Assembly District 27
District Address: 100 Paseo de San Antonio, Ste. 319, San Jose 95113
District Telephone: (408) 277-1220/FAX: (408) 277-1036
Capitol Address: California Legislature, Sacramento, CA 95814
Capitol Telephone: (916) 319-2028/FAX: (916) 319-2128
District Zip Codes:
95103, 95106, 95108, 95109, 95110, 95111, 95112, 95113, 95115, 95116, 95121, 95122, 95127, 95135, 95136, 95138, 95148, 95150, 95151, 95152, 95153, 95154, 95155, 95156, 95157, 95158, 95159, 95160, 95161, 95164, 95170, 95172,95173, 95192, 95194, 95196
– Prepared by Kathryn Lynch