SCI – First for Hunters
AB 1254 (Kamlager-Dove) Bobcats: take prohibition passed out of the Assembly on May 24th. It is now in the Senate Natural Resources and Water Committee.
THE BILL WOULD BAN THE TAKE OF BOBCATS BY ANY METHOD AT ANY TIME, EXCEPT UNDER VERY LIMITED CONDITIONS AS SPECIFIED IN ITS PROPOSED CHANGES TO THE EXISTING DEPREDATION PERMIT AND HUNTING LAWS!
As amended April 11, 2019,AB 1254would generally ban the take of bobcats statewide by any method at any time!!
Bobcat hunting would only be allowed if the Fish and Game Commission adopted regulations to open a bobcat hunting season in a specifically defined area determined by the commission to require a hunt, such as in the case of an over-population of bobcats or an abnormally high rate of depredation.
- The bill’s provisions are NOT supported by wildlife management science.
- State and federal wildlife management authorities indicated prior to the enactment of AB 1213 in 2013 (the existing take restrictions), that the bobcat population was healthy and not in danger of a decline from taking by hunters and others – They have NOT stated otherwise to date.
- This is simply an emotional ANTI-HUNTING MEASURE that is not supported by scientific findings.
- Further, this bill would result in a loss of hunting license revenue and federal Pitman-Robertson funds to the Department of Fish and Wildlife – these funds would need to be replaced out of the State Budget or by an increase in hunting license fees, even though hunting would not be allowed!
AB 1254 MUST Be Opposed!!
If your Senator is a member of the Senate Natural Resources & Water Committee listed below, please contact him/her NOW!
Don’t know if your state senator is one of the committee members listed above?
- Go to: http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/
- Enter your address, city and zip code. Click on “Locate.” Your Senator and Assemblymember will appear to the right of the map along with his/her contact information.
If your Senator is not on the committee list above, please contact your Senator anyway and tell him/her of your opposition to SB 1254!
̶ Prepared by Kathryn Lynch